EAD / Work Permit for H4 dependent spouses.

Effective May 26, 2015, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is extending eligibility for employment authorization to certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants who are seeking employment-based lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. DHS amended the regulations to allow these H-4 dependent spouses to accept employment in the United States.

Who are eligible?

Eligible individuals include certain H-4 dependent spouses of H-1B nonimmigrants who:

• Are the principal beneficiaries of an approved Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker; or

• Have been granted H-1B status under sections 106(a) and (b) of the American Competitiveness in the Twenty-first Century Act of 2000 as amended by the 21st Century Department of Justice Appropriations Authorization Act. The Act permits H-1B nonimmigrants seeking lawful permanent residence to work and remain in the United States beyond the six-year limit on their H-1B status.

When can I file?

USCIS will begin accepting applications on May 26, 2015. Once USCIS approves the application and the H-4 dependent spouse receives an EAD, he or she may begin working in the United States.

What are the costs and time frame?

Costs and Processing Times are:

• USCIS Filing fee : $ 380

• Processing time : At this time it is difficult to estimate the exact processing time. However, our guesstimate is that this may be approx.. 90 days from filing. We will know exact processing times once USCIS starts receiving & processing these applications.

• Attorney fee : $ 450 (not including the filing fee specified above).

What does our service include?

1. Providing checklist of documents required from you;

2. Preparing & filing your application;

3. Co-ordinating with USCIS until a decision is made on your application;

4. Responding to RFE, if one is issued.

Please contact us to get started with your H4 EAD application.

Images used here belong to Getty Images